Monday, April 8, 2013

Review: Fine Cooking Comfort Food: 200 Delicious Recipes for Soul-Warming Meals

I love to cook comfort food. I think that is my "Genre" when I cook. My cooking personality is right in line with my Zodiac sign - Taurus.

I crave comfort, security and stability (although I've given up on this in the career sector of my life because if I didn't I would have gone completely crazy by now).

But getting back to the subject at hand...

Fine Cooking Comfort Food by Fine Cooking Magazine is a book that has an abundance of classic comfort good recipes (Beef Stew with Root Vegetables, pg. 48; Turkey Noodle Casserole, pg. 91; and Classic Scalloped Potatoes, pg. 208), basic cooking tips & secrets (How to Make the Perfect Omelet, pg. 163; How to Ice a Cake, pg. 231), as well as twists on the "standards" (Apple Crisp with Pecans and Orange, pg. 233; Turkey Soup with Dill, Parsley and Chive Dumplings; and Braised Beef Short Ribs with Salsa Verde and Feta, pg. 120).

When I thought of the perfect comfort pasta dish, I turned to the first page of the section and what did I find...Baked Macaroni & Cheese! I made it, shared it and it's was a hit so I'll be making again and again! Then, the next 4 recipes consist of variations on the classic - Pulled-Pork Macaroni & Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Four Cheeses, pg. 78; Tex-Mex Macaroni & Cheese with Green Chiles, pg. 79; Quick Skillet Mac and Cheese, pg. 80; and Shells with Gorgonzola, pg. 81).

Even in an electronic format, the bounty of pictures portrayed the simple, colorful, crisp elegance of comfort food - making your mouth water and your tummy growl.

I think this is a great first cookbook! I'm looking forward to making a purchase and giving it as a housewarming gift for the next friend's kid or one of my cousins who moves into their first "grown-up" pad -  there are 17 of us on one side ages 23 - 46, plus my cousins' kids who range from 1 month to 23!

I make my own Cream of Broccoli Soup, and of course I forget to write it down so it never comes out the same way twice! The last few times it hasn't been as good as previous attempts. So, I'm looking forward to trying the Broccoli Soup with Bacon, pg. 10 recipe from this book.

Even though it's April and I live in SoCal, it's still a little chilly at night, so I'll be making "Classic Grilled Cheese" (pg. 186), and paring it with, what else, but "Classic Tomato Soup" (pg. 4)!

 


Fine Cooking Magazine
The Taunton Press, Inc.
Publication Date: Nov 8 2011


Disclaimer:
This book was provided to reviewer from the publisher, The Taunton Press, Inc., through
NetGalley for the sole purpose of reading and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on Living Life by the Seat of Your Pants!

Appreciate it!