Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Review of Marilyn: Norma Jeane

I am so happy that I was able have the opportunity to read and review this electronic version of the 1988 book. I will definitely take a look at the original publication to view all the photos more closely.

I’m fairly new to requesting, reading and reviewing books from NetGalley that I almost missed this one! I didn’t realize until last week that I’m only allotted less than 2 months to read these books that the publishers so graciously trust me with before they go “Poof” from my Nook.
It’s a good thing that it’s a fairly short book and I was able to read it in its entirety today.

Gloria Steinem has compiled a compelling overview of the life of Marilyn Monroe (and Norma Jeane) that is part biography, part psychological profile, part picture book, part history, part feminist study, part speculation – all wrapped around very natural pictures of Marilyn Monroe, not long before her death in August 1962.
It cleverly seesaws back and forth between Norma Jeane and her ascent to become, and be, Marilyn Monroe. Filled with quotes from Marilyn herself, along with historical facts, hearsay, and other nuggets depicted in other publications – we are able to see her sparkling star power – an effervescence that from all accounts shines through.

 She was a gentle spirit, craving love and stability – a little girl lost who unfortunately didn’t find her way in time. She constantly craved a solid, steady mother-figure in the women she surrounded herself with and a father-figure in the men who she met, loved, and married. But the isolation, loneliness, and neediness of this child-woman caught up with her and she was taken away too soon.
It’s uncanny to me reading this, the little tidbits Marilyn Monroe/Norma Jeane and I have in common.

  • We both have a physical body developed too fast.
  • I share her eagerness to read, learn and grow.
  • One of her heroes was Abraham Lincoln. She wrote an essay and I wrote a book report – both in Junior High.

“With enough self-knowledge to recognize her own behavior, but not enough self-confidence to change it,” Ms. Steinem writes before quoting Marilyn herself (pg. 110). WOW! I can relate to that!
Steinem writes pieces about Norma Jeane, about Marilyn and then as many of the information throughout the book suggests – as both halves of the same person intermingled and one fighting the other that always seems to be fighting to be kept at bay.

Her insecurities are always there – I can tell from what I do know and what I’ve read in this book that she was in a constant struggle to keep the demons of her past out of her head, her need and constant craving to be loved and wanted, her thirst for knowledge and not to be seen as she was in many of her movies as the sexpot, dumb blonde.
Just when I was wondering what would have happened, had she lived longer and not died in such a theatrical way with all the mystery, conspiracy theories and speculation surrounding her untimely demise, I go a few pages further and that’s what the last chapter is about (although it was originally published in the late-80s when she’d be in her 60s).

Would she have made it as an aging actress at a time when aging actresses weren’t revered and their talents weren’t acknowledged as they are more today?
Would she have been able to make it in more serious roles, or as a character actress?

Would she still be a legend or would Marilyn Monroe just fade into the darkness and been a has-been?
We’ll never know. So, we’re left with the films and pictures of this pretty brunette, who became a platinum blonde icon with her sexy walk and husky voice – forever implanted in our minds.

I’ve only seen, “The Seven Year Itch” and “Some Like It Hot” – I will be expanding on that list and I look forward to reading more on Marilyn/Norma Jeane. Thanks for the glimpse Ms. Steinem!
 


By Gloria Steinem
Photographs by George Barris
Open Road Integrated Media
Published March 2013
Original Publication 1988

Disclaimer:
This book was provided to reviewer from the publisher,
Open Road Integrated Media through
NetGalley for the sole purpose of reading and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on Living Life by the Seat of Your Pants!

Appreciate it!